Certificate of Authorization
All Professional Corporations associated with The College of Chiropractors of Ontario are required to first obtain a Certificate of Authorization from their College before incorporating. To get this authorization from the College, there are a number of regulations and requirements that you, as a Chiropractor, must follow and maintain.
Professional Corporation Requirements:
- Shareholders must all be members of the same profession, and hold certifications issued by the College
- All directors and officers listed for the corporation must also be shareholders of the corporation
- The Professional Corporation can only carry on the business that is governed by the College, and must be outlined as such within their Articles of Incorporation
Chiropractor Professional Corporation Naming Regulations:
There are certain regulations Chiropractors need to adhere to when naming a Professional Corporation. As outlined by the College, this includes:
- At the end of the corporate name, the words “Professional Corporation” or “Société professionnelle” must appear
- The surname of one or more shareholders of the corporation. Including given names and/or initials is also acceptable
- The health profession being practiced must be indicated which, in this case, would be Chiropractor
Following these naming regulations, here is an example of an acceptable professional corporation name, following the structure of:
Shareholder(s) Last Name Chiropractor Professional Corporation
Ex: James L. Green Chiropractor Professional Corporation
Incorporating as a Professional Chiropractor Corporation
Before obtaining your Certificate of Authorization, The College of Chiropractors of Ontario will require you to be incorporated. Ontario Business Central can assist in completing the entire incorporation process for your Professional Corporation on a same day basis.
When you have gained acceptance from your governing body, the incorporation process can begin with Ontario Business Central. As a part of the service we provide, you’ll be able to review your Articles of Incorporation in draft form, before anything is filed. This allows you to make any changes before the incorporation process is completed.
In order to name your Professional Corporation, you’ll need to complete a NUANS report, to ensure the name you will be using doesn’t infringe on an existing corporation or Trademark. You can either include the NUANS report in your Professional Corporation package, or complete it separately through a NUANS Search.
Applying for a Certificate of Authorization
Once you have incorporated, you can apply to receive a Certificate of Authorization from The college of Chiropractors of Ontario. According to the College’s ‘Initial Application for a Certificate of Authorization for a Professional Corporation’, along with a fee and other documentation, you will require the following:
- Copy of Articles of Incorporation (Included in Incorporation when completed)
- Copy of Certificate of Incorporation (Included in Incorporation when completed)
- Corporate Profile Report, dated less than 30 days from application date. After your corporation is registered, we can assist you with obtaining the required Profile Report in just a few hours.
Renewing Your Certificate of Authorization
Renewals and all supporting documentation and fees must be received by the College by January 1, in order to avoid your certificate possibly being revoked. The Renewal Application can be found on the College website.
Each year following the incorporation of your Professional Incorporation, a Certificate of Authorization is required to be renewed on or before September 30th. A renewal application must be submitted, along with the required annual renewal fee.
It’s always advisable to contact your governing body to get any clarification before beginning any registrations. Then, when you are ready to begin the incorporation process for your Professional Corporation, Ontario Business Central can assist you through the process.
If you need more details about what’s involved in incorporating your Professional Chiropractor Corporation, you can contact The College of Chiropractors of Ontario at 1-877-577-4772 or through their website.
How long will it take to Incorporate a Professional Ontario Incorporation?
A typical professional incorporation takes 24 hours to complete. This includes the preliminary NUANS, NUANS report, preparation of articles, email of draft incorporation, processing with the Province of Ontario to completion of the Articles.
Should you have any questions about incorporating your Professional Corporation, please feel free to reach out to our staff for additional information and assistance.
Office Hours: 9:00am – 5:00pm
Monday – Friday E.S.T.
Ontario Business Central Inc. is not a law firm and cannot provide a legal opinion or advice. This information is to assist you in understanding the requirements of registration within the chosen jurisdiction. It is always recommended, when you have legal or accounting questions that you speak to a qualified professional.